Thursday, May 22, 2008

Say a little prayer for me.....

Just about 4 weeks ago, my dad suffered a stroke...A couple of my brothers and I flew to the Midwest immediately to meet up with our  3  other siblings.  When we arrived it was quite late so we poked in on our dad only to find him  in a "coma" state to help stabilize him.  Deciding there was not much to do until the morning, we looked for a place to lay our heads until then...the sweet nurse suggested we stay in the family center of the hospital..
it had a pull out love seat and a chair.  


Ok, I love my brother and all but at 6' something and 250+lbs, I said, Ahhh, I don't think this is going to cut it.  We quickly found a Holiday Inn Express!

The first 72 hours were the hardest...we played the waiting game. Fortunately, I have many siblings, aunts and uncles who cared as much. 


The nurses and doctors really didn't know what they were getting into...we took shifts going in to his room to talk with him while he was hooked up to every apparatus you can imagine...
they asked often...how many kids did your dad have??

Every day we experienced new emotions of sadness, 
of hope, of uncertainty....I was very lucky to be surrounded by diversions..
to help remember a certain time of life, to make me smile and to eat something sweet...
my sister-in-law made these to die for short bread cookies that just melt in your mouth.


Diversions come in handy during a time like this...
my sister and I found a mall nearby and did a little retail therapy!


Today, my dad is recovering in rehab and works diligently every day to speak and walk again...
 our prayers and thoughts are with him.



I'm just sayin'

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jules-

Wow, so sorry about your Dad and glad you have so much support around you for the diversions.

You are in my thoughts.

abb said...

Love and blessings always!

xoabb

Mental P Mama said...

{{{{{Jules}}}}}

Mental P Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

loved this entry - loved the shoes
love you ti!

Jules said...

YOu made it Ti!!!!! Come again!!

Anonymous said...

Haha told ya I could do it! Just sent your site to your cousins ... better keep it clean! ;)

ti

Anonymous said...

ps that pic of Chris sitting on the window sill was great ~ we all spent a lot of hours there!

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Your dad and your family is in our thoughts and prayers. I'm glad he is doing a little better every day.

Jules said...

Auntie S...Thank you for your thoughts and prayers we are doing the same for Uncle Ross...Love and hugs to all.
Jules